Subject: Re: [office] Suggested ODF1.2 items

On Mon, 2006-11-12 at 09:45 -0500, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> > * enhance field support by introducing a <text:field-start/> and a
> > <text:field-end/> element to which metadata can be attached.
>
> I think before we get specific about that, I'd agree we need one (or
> more) generic metadata fields.
>
> The start/end approach seems potentially dangerous to me (how do you
> handle well-formedness if the field spans across the end of a content
> node?),

As a small-time implementor I can say that I would have a hell of a time
dealing with start/end tags. I hate those. While working on the ODF
viewer we had to do a horrible hack to have even basic support for
track-changes (which also uses start/end tags), even based on the
assumption that they were well-formed. I would hate to go through that
again for fields. I think start/end tags miss the whole point of XML. So
I would not be happy with this.

Best,
Daniel.
--