Subject: Promoting OpenDocument at OASIS Symposium

As you may be aware, the OASIS Symposium, our largest annual meeting, will be
held in San Diego, April 15-18. The overall theme of the main program is
"eBusiness and Open Standards: Understanding the Fact, Fiction, and Future." In
addition to the main, two-day program (which will have business and technical
tracks), there will be a day of tutorials and three days for TC meetings and
other activities.

I think the Symposium would be a great opportunity to promote OpenDocument and
the new XML.org site. It seems like a long way off, but now is the time to
start making plans so we can reserve the necessary meeting space and have time
to promote our activities. A few things we may want to consider:

1. submit abstracts on OpenDocument for the main program; the deadline is 15
December. If an OpenDocument presentation is accepted, maybe we could highlight
an excerpt from it as an OpenDocument XML.org homepage feature before the event
to build some buzz and encourage attendance.

2. offer a full-day (or half-day) tutorial on OpenDocument before the
Symposium.

3. host a one to two-day OpenDocument workshop after the Symposium (this would
overlap TC meetings, but many prospective attendees won't be participating in
TC meetings, so that might not be a problem).

4. host a BoF during the Symposium (a special table or separate area during
lunch or an evening session)

5. reserve a special area for table top displays from OpenDocument supporters

6. offer a short OpenDocument webinar before the event to encourage attendance

7. schedule committee meetings following the Symposium

8. create and distribute OpenDocument XML.org magnets or pins (if we can find a
sponsor to underwrite the cost) to promote traffic on the site

Other ideas?

Carol

Carol Geyer
Director of Communications