Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Our discussion on the Wiki example

Hi,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> Hi Bernd,
>
> On Dec 28, 2006, at 7:02 AM, Bernd Schuster wrote:
>
>> From my point of you, there are no objections to write:
>>
>> <text:p xml:id="myBook">
>> My favorite books is from Tolkien! It's ISBM is <text:span
>> xml:id="isbn">8th</text:span> it has <text:span
>> xml:id="pages">1154</text:span> pages
>> </text:p>
>>
>> ... and in the RDF/XML:
>>
>> <rdf:Description rdf:about="content.xml#myBook">
>>  <ex:author rdf:resource="http://ex.net/people/Tolkien"/>
>>  <ex:isbn rdf:resource="content.xml#isbn"/>
>>  <ex:pages rdf:resource="content.xml#pages"/>
>> </rdf:Description>
>>
>> where the "words" '8th' and '1154' are  tagged  with an individuell
>> xml:id  and being referenced  as objects inside the above rdf statements.
>
> Yes, the objections are:
>
> 1) it is not a standard way to model RDF, and would in fact violate many
> ontologies. In short, we would force every literal to be a resource.
>
> 2) it forces additional processing, and the metadata is now dependent on
> the (ODF) content

I'm wondering whether the "1154" that appears in the content.xml
actually is an RDF object, or only the display string of an object that
is stored in a RDF file external to the content.xml.

In this example, I would assume that all bibliographic data is stored
externally, and that the content.xml only displays some of the RDF
objects. What we would need in this case is not a reference from the RDF
data to the content.xml, but a reference from the content.xml back to
the bibliographic meta data, so that the display string can be updated
if the bibliographic meta data changes. That's actually how the meta
data fields we have already in the ODF spec do work. They do not define
any meta data, but display it only.

If my assumption is not correct and the "1154" in the content.xml is an
RDF object, wouldn't this mean that the content.xml defines
bibliographic data itself? How would this data be kept up to date?

Are my assumptions correct, or do I miss something?

Best wishes for 2007!

Michael