Subject: Re: [office] Muting and unmuting

David,

David Faure wrote:

>OK, can someone remind me how to mute and unmute the phone?
>I was on the call today, but it seems that after the echo problems I muted the phone
>(I found *6 by googling), but I wasn't able to unmute again afterwards (the page said
>to do *6 again, didn't work)... What's the magic combination?

I tried several things but I think *5 was the one that worked.

Can anyone confirm?

>I just wanted to say that IMHO we can never achieve 100% compatibility with a format
>like msword. We should of course add the necessary features where they make sense,
>but I don't think it makes sense to add all the corner cases that might differ by a few
>millimeters in the layout of lists, for instance. So if a sensible proposal is 99% compatible
>and the full-100%-compatible means basically copying the MS XML into ODF without any
>hopes of feasibility of implementation, or any resulting spec that anyone would understand...
>then I take the sensible proposal.

Really depends on what you mean by 100% compatibility. I have heard the
phrase "100% fidelity," which I think is pretty much meaningless. What
if ODF gave a different display but round tripped any changes to the
document to MS Word? Is that 100% compatibility or 100% fidelity?

Seems to me that ODF should be able to preserve information for
exporting back to converted formats but I am not sure that is either
100% compatibility or 100% fidelity. That is simply having an adequately
defined import/export mechanism. Some targets may be harder than others.

If the requirement is to display some formatting that is never defined,
then I take it the task is nearly impossible and probably not worth the
effort.

Ultimately I agree that discussing compatibility/fidelity in a vacuum
isn't really productive. With specific cases we can evaluate what
*capabilities* that ODF should offer. How those are used by a particular
application is an entirely different issue. ODF may provide the ability
to duplicate the display of some other format and I may simply choose to
not do so. That doesn't mean that there is any problem with ODF but with
my application, should duplication of display be a requirement.

I think we need to keep the separation between what ODF enables and what
applications choose to do very clear.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

>But I don't know if this applies to the current proposals about lists, the question was only
>about the general approach :)

Patrick@Durusau.net
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005