Subject: Re: [office] OpenDocument lists - my view included are some proposals

On Friday 09 February 2007 11:31, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software Engineer -
Sun Microsystems wrote:
> ODF lists defined by using the numbered paragraph construct -
> <text:numbered-paragraph> element - this view is mainly influenced by
> the discussion in the ODF TC and with the ODF TC members:
> - The ODF specification 1.1 doesn't specify, how numbered paragraphs
> form a certain list and thus, how a counter domain is formed for
> numbered paragraphs. I propose to use the proposed attribute
> style:list-id and make it mandatory for numbered paragraphs in ODF
> specification 1.2.

Why would it be mandatory? That would be a problem with old documents that
don't have it.
Having a series of numbered paragraphs using the same list style can easily be
implied to be part of the same list.
So, a numbered paragraph that does not have a list-id gets the list-id of the
last numbered-paragraph on that same level using the same style.  If the
previous has a different style, then a new list is started.

> Thus, all numbered paragraph with the same list-id
> form a list and each list-id defines one counter domain. For text
> documents in previous ODF versions, it's left to the application how to
> group numbered paragraph together to form a certain list.

We should specify it indeed.  How did my above parag sound?

> - If a numbered paragraph doesn't specify a list style, I propose to use
> the list style which is applied to the numbered paragraph on the
> superior list level of the same list. If no such numbered paragraph
> exists, a default list style is applied.

fine.

> - For the start values of the counter domain defined by a list-id I
> propose to use the start values of the list style of the first numbered
> paragraph of the list.

Sounds good.
--
Thomas Zander