Subject: Re: [office] OpenDocument lists - my view included are some proposals

Hi,

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Friday 09 February 2007 11:31, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software Engineer -
> Sun Microsystems wrote:
>> ODF lists defined by using the numbered paragraph construct -
>> <text:numbered-paragraph> element - this view is mainly influenced by
>> the discussion in the ODF TC and with the ODF TC members:
>> - The ODF specification 1.1 doesn't specify, how numbered paragraphs
>> form a certain list and thus, how a counter domain is formed for
>> numbered paragraphs. I propose to use the proposed attribute
>> style:list-id and make it mandatory for numbered paragraphs in ODF
>> specification 1.2.
>
> Why would it be mandatory? That would be a problem with old documents that
> don't have it.

We had a similar discussion with the office:version attribute, that was
optional in 1.1, and should become mandatory in ODF 1.2. If I remember
it correctly, then our conclusion there was that documents should be
validated against the schema that belongs to the ODF version the
document conforms to. That means, an ODF 1.1 document should be
validated against the ODF 1.1 schema, and an ODF 1.2 document against
the 1.2 schema.

So what we did was
- we made the attribute mandatory
- we stated in the specification that the attribute may be missing in
ODF 1.1 documents
- we stated how such document shall be processed.

(see http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200612/msg00003.html)

I think it is an option to do the same here.

I hope this helps.