Subject: Re: [office] OpenDocument lists - my view included are some proposals

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Friday 09 February 2007 11:31, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software Engineer -
> Sun Microsystems wrote:
>> Problem in such a case is, how to determine a certain list level
>> definition for list level 1. I propose the following solution as a
>> proposal to the ODF specification 1.2:
>
>> - Use the list level definition for list level 1, which is applied the
>> superior list item on list level 1. If no superior list item on list
>> level 1 exists, use a default list style. This is the same default list
>> style, which is mentioned in chapter 4.3.1 of ODF specification 1.1
>> about list blocks. The same should be applied to numbered paragraphs of
>> a certain list.
>
> I read this a couple of times. But your sentence doesn't parse for me :(
> Besides the grammar problems;

Sorry, I'm not a native english speaker. Could you please point me to
the grammar problems.

could you tell me what a 'superior list item'
> is?

Yes, I can. I will explain it using the following example:
Think of the following list:
1. Paragraph A (list item on list level 1)
1.1 Paragraph B (list item on list level 2)
2. Paragraph C (list item on list level 1)
2.1 Paragraph D (list item on list level 2)
2.2 Paragraph E (list item on list level 2)
2.2.1 Paragraph F (list item on list level 3)

- list item "1. Paragraph A" is the superior list item of list item
"1.1 Paragraph B"
- list item "2. Paragraph C" is the superior list item of the list
items "2.1 Paragraph D" and "2.2 Paragraph E"
- list item "2.2.1 Paragraph E" is the superior list item of list item
"2.2.1 Paragraph F"

> The default list style is something that actually needs to be defined in the
> spec. Referring to it without saying what it contains should be fixed :)

Since now, nobody has any concern against this part of the
OpenDocument specification. If you've got one, please provide an
appropriate proposal to change this part of the specification.

> Could you write something more clear on what you want the first part of the
> numbering to be?

Yes, I'll try. I will again use the above given example:
Imagine that the above given list is represented in the OpenDocument
file format using <text:numbered-paragraph>. Imagine that list style
"L2" is given at the list item "2.2 Paragraph E". List style "L2" only
contains a list level definition for list level 2. But, as you see,
the list label of this list item contains the number of list level 1.
The number format for this number can't be taken from list style "L2",
because its missing. Thus, I propose to take it from the list level
definition, which is applied to list item "2. Paragraph C". "2.
Paragraph C" is the superior list item of list item "2.2 Paragraph E".

Regards, Oliver.