Subject: Re: [office] proposals for charts: reverse-direction, right-angled-axes,group-bars-per-axis

Lars,

Some comments on the first proposal: Chart: Reverse Axis

Lars Oppermann wrote:

> Dear TC members,
>
> I am forwarding the following three proposals created by the
> OpenOffice.org-Chart development team concerning chart axes
> for inclusion into OpenDocument 1.2...

> Chart: Reverse Axis
>
> Between Section 15.31.3 and 15.31.4 a new section should be added (or
> section 15.31.3 could be expanded):

Before getting to the proposal, a couple of comments on 15.31.3:

> If a scaling attribute is omitted, the axis is set to adaptation mode.
> This means that the value is not set to a fixed value but may be
> changed by the render application if data changes. However, the
> chart:axis-logarithmic attribute is set to false.

Typo:

render -> rendering

Omit last sentence: However, the chart......

> The optional chart:axis-logarithmic attribute can be used to cause
> logarithmic scaling on an axis. By default, proportional scaling is used.

Omit last sentence: By default, .....

Add: The default value of the chart:axis-logarithmic attribute is false.
By default, an axis uses proportional scaling.

> Reverse Direction
>
> The chart:reverse-direction attribute determines where the minimum and
> where the maximum values are displayed on an axis. The default
> direction of an axis is the one used in standard mathematics. 3D
> Cartesian coordinate systems are left handed per default and polar
> coordinate systems are counter clockwise. If x and y axes are swapped
> as in horizontal bar charts (when property chart:vertical equals
> true), then the unswapped coordinate system is standard mathematics
> and left handed.

I am not entirely clear on the end result that is the goal.

Cartesian coordinate systems, 3D or 2D are all "left handed" by default.
That is to say that the zero point on each axis is located at a single
point and most usually to the left of anyone viewing the representation.

It the intent here to be: (apologies for the poor representation):

0

y axis

____x axis_________0

?

I don't know that I would say that swapping the y and x axis is standard
mathematics, although the statement that it results in "left handed"
presentation.

To be honest, I found the last sentence unexpected and difficult.

If the axes are swapped:

x axis

0,0_______y axis______

so you are saying that:

y axis

0,0 _________x axis_____

Is unswapped and therefore left-handed?

Sorry, but the language leaves me wondering what the proper behavior
would be in this case.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

> <define name="style-chart-properties-attlist" combine="interleave">
>    <optional>
>       <attribute name="chart:reverse-direction">
>          <ref name="boolean"/>
>       </attribute>
>    </optional>
> </define>

Patrick@Durusau.net
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005