Subject: Re: [office] Digital signature proposal

Dave,

Dave Pawson wrote:
> On 16/02/07, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
> <Michael.Brauer@sun.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> please find below a proposal for adding digital signatures to ODF. It
>> consists of two parts. The first one adds digital signature to ODF
>> packages in general.
>
>> The schema for digital signatures is:
>>
>>   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>>   <!--
>>         OASIS OpenDocument v1.2
>>         Draft1, 19 Oct 2006
>>         Relax-NG Manifest Schema
>>
>>         $Id$
>>
>>         (c) 2002-2005 OASIS Open
>>   -->
>
> Should the copyright be 2002-2007 Michael?

Well, I think it should be 2007 actually (its a copy-and-paste error).

> Is there any reason you have chosen an external signature file,
> rather than an embedded one?

Yes, but we have to be careful with the term "external".

 From the ODF perspective, the signature is not an external file, but a
sub file in the package. From the xml-dsig perspective, the signature is
a detached signature, that is, one that is located next to the files
that are signed. xmldsig also supports enveloping and and enveloped
signatures.

We haven chosen the detached variant for several reasons.
- Signatures can be added without modifications to any of the files that
get signed.
- Multiple files have to be signed by the same signature. Using one of
the two other variants would have introduces some kind of asymmetry.
- Signature are in the first place a feature of packages. Since a the
package specification does not know anything about other files than the
ones in the META-INF folder, adding the signature files there seems to
be the only option.

I hope this helps.

Michael

> regards