Subject: Re: [office] Digital signature proposal

Bruce,

please let me clarify this. The proposal actually consists of two parts.
One part is to add files called "documentsignatures.xml" and
"macrosignatures.xml", which contain document signatures and macro
signatures. The situation here is the the same as for the "content.xml"
and "styles.xml" files that contains a document's content or styles, and
that are also identified by their name. I therefore think it is
reasonable to reuse this identification mechanism for these two kind of
signatures as well.

The other part of the proposal actually is about adding signatures in
general. The sentence that a signature stream shall include the term
"signature" is actually not to be understood as an identification schema
for signatures, but only as a naming guideline. Actually, there is no
requirement for other kind of signatures than the two mentioned above.
For this reason, if this naming guideline can be mis-understood, I would
suggest that we remove it, instead of trying to find some identification
schema for signatures, that we actually don't need at the moment.

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2007, at 6:08 AM, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
> Hamburg wrote:
>
>> Files within a package may have a digital signature applied. Digital
>> signatures are stored in one or more files within the META-INF folder.
>> The names of these files *shall* contain the term "signatures".
>
> Using file names to denote function seems like a bad idea to me. The

It depends on how the files in question are used. Using the name to
denote the function of a file is reasonable if there is exactly one file
that has this function. That's the case for the content.xml and
styles.xml, but also for the proposes documentsignatures.xml and
macrosignatures.xml.

If there could be multiple files that have certain function, like in the
metadata case, then a more flexible identification schema is in fact
required.

> manifest should be used to indicate whether a file is a signature (or
> something else)?

Actually, the signatures are considered to be part of the package
itself. That's why they are stored in the META-INF folder. I'm therefore
  not sure whether they should be added to the manifest at all.