Subject: Re: [office] Adding support for "em" measurements

David,

Should have checked my email archives *before* hitting the send button.

The concern is not with "em" but with "pt."

As reported by my friend Martin Bryan from the UK:

>Also I'm a printer, so the term pt raises a rag to a bull. Do you mean
>1/72nd of an inch used in modern copires, the Anglo/American point used in
>printing in the US and UK or the European Diderot point?

Still waiting for someone to develop topic map software to manage email
archives!

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

David A. Wheeler wrote:

>Patrick:
>

>>I don't have the details at my finger tips but I recall that there are
>>multiple definitions of "em" in typography.
>>
>>If we specify one, shouldn't we allow for choices of the others?
>>
>>I can run down the details a bit later this week.
>>

>Please do.   We should try to make sure we cover the major standards, at least, and if there's an interpretation used by any widely-used office suite.
>
>Marbux had a few pointers.  Here's what CSS says:
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/PR-xsl11-20061006/#d0e5490
>"The em-based relative units of measurement are defined in the Unicode
>standard, <http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2000.pdf>;, pg. 167."
>
>--- David A. Wheeler

Patrick@Durusau.net
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005