Subject: RE: [office] Digital signature proposal

Malte,

It would be useful if you can provide a reference to the past long
discussions you are referring to in order to see the rationales and
arguments used.

Regarding styles - a possible solution is to limit sectional signing so
that after the first section is signed styles cannot change. Thus it
will be possible to always sign all the styles information in addition
to the section being signed. Such a limitation will probably not reduce
much the usability of the sectional signing feature.

Regarding complete XML export - if the document is edited using the same
application can't we expect the exported version to be identical to the
imported one if no changes were made? Again I feel this limitation will
probably not reduce much the usability of the sectional signing feature.

Regarding implementation - since OOo is developed by an open community,
would it be helpful if we volunteer to contribute an implementation of
sectional signing in OOo to the community?

The fact is that today we have real customers actually using sectional
signing in proprietary binary format documents. This demonstrates that
this feature is important to users and not just a nice to have idea to
be added to the spec.

In any case, whatever decision is made on this, I think it is critical
that the spec we're developing will not limit the addition of sectional
signing by add-ons or future implementations. Requiring the application
to consider a signature invalid because it is not applied to all files
of the package will create such a limitation.

Regarding visual signatures - this is implemented in many applications
and file formats, and is actually in everyday use today. Just two
examples for file formats which 'natively' support visual signatures are
PDF and OOXML. I can provide references to many signature products that
add visual signatures as an add-on feature for popular proprietary
binary format based applications. Again, we may be willing to volunteer
to contribute an implementation of visual signatures to OOo.

The motivation here is to enable users to move from paper based
processes to electronic documents covering the complete document
lifecycle including signatures, approvals, etc. Otherwise you find many
cases where the electronic document is printed just so it can be
manually signed, then faxed, mailed and archived or in some cases
scanned back into an electronic archive.

Thanks,

- Uri