Subject: Re: [office] renewed proposal for new position and space attributesfor the list level

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 05 March 2007 09:55, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software Engineer -
> Sun Microsystems wrote:
>> We are on the style level to specify how the list items are laid out.
>> Thus, it doesn't makes sense to specify only part of the list item
>> layout at the list style and specify the the other part - namely the
>> indents - on each paragraph separately and redundant.
>> That's the purpose of styles - specifying something, thus, it's not
>> needed that each item specifies it again and again.
>
> Sorry, but I honestly do think you are mixing things up here. Or at minimum
> making things waaay to complex in your own mind.
>
> As you know; each paragraph follows a paragraph style.
> Each list item has a style for the list-specific part of the paragraph.
>
> Its obvious to me that when you use a specific liststyle with different
> paragraph-styles you get different results based on the different paragraph
> properties like text-indent. Simple and straightforward.
>
> And your argument is that its a bad thing that multiple paragraphs *styles*
> doing the same paragraph-indent is duplication somehow?
> Further; you then go on to copy those settings to the list-style which ensures
> that each (numbered) paragraph has it twice, and state that that's a better
> idea.
>
> My continuing problem with this is that you want to have a lot of properties
> that are already specified on a paragraph-style to also be on a list-style.
> Even while the main thing they influence is the paragraph-indent. Which
> duplicates options and makes it much more difficult for implementations to
> actually implement the spec. It additionally makes it much more difficult for
> an actual user to understand all these properties and how they interact.

I understand your concerns.

My goal is to provide the possibility to specify the layout of the list
items of a list without using any paragraph style. Thus, I propose to
have these indent attributes also at the list style - namely at the list
level definitions of the list style. These attributes belong to the
layout of list items.
If I would follow your opinion, this wouldn't be possible and it would
cause in my view the complexity, that for a complete specified list item
layout at least *two* styles have to be edited and applied.
This my proposal you will got the possibility to specify the complete
list item layout for 10 list levels. For each list level, you can
specify the indent attributes in *one* style - namely the list style.
If the indent attributes can't be specified in the list style, *ten*
additional paragraph styles are needed to fulfill this use case.

Do you know understand my intention, why I want to have the possibility
to specify the indent attributes at the list level definitions of a list
style?

Regards, Oliver.