Subject: Re: [office] my requirements

Thomas,

I can't speak for Florian and his rationale for his goals but I do have
a comment on the round trip requirement:

Thomas Zander wrote:

>On Monday 19 March 2007 18:46, Thomas Zander wrote:
>

>>Its good to hear what your requirements are
>>

>Hmm,
>sorry for my hasty email yesterday. It really came out all wrong.  Please
>allow me to retry;
>
>Florian;
>I'm very happy to get to see your requirements. It makes talks a lot easier,
>indeed.  Now we can talk about goals :)
>
>Several of your requirements are probably based on goals you have for your
>usage of ODF.  And I'd like to ask you to make one more step; to not just
>provide us with your requirements but also the rationale behind your
>requirements. Or, in other words; your goals.
>
>The reason I ask this is because several of your requirements conflict with
>requirements we are currently persuing, for KOffice, for example.
>Prime example is R4.  "100% roundtrip fidelity"
>This requirement is counter to the arguments of having 2 ways of doing
>something similar.  Like taking a motorcycle or a car to work. Sure you can
>use both to do the job, but there are advantages to both. Those advantages
>are what makes them similar, but significantly different.
>And due to that, you can not assume you can take the same route to work
>independent of your choice of car over motorcycle. Just like converting from
>text:list to numbered-paragraph will not transfer advantages from one to the
>other.

Actually I read Florian's post to say:

>R4. 100% roundtrip fidelity between text:list and text:numbered-paragraph ===
>
>The current ODF specification states that
><quote>
>A list in <text:list> representation could be converted into a list in <text:numbered-paragraph> representation and vice versa.
></quote>

In other words, ODF already posits this ability and all Florian is
asking for is a specification for how that is to be done. And quite
naturally it should be reversible or as Florian puts it grandly, "100%
roundtrip fidelity."

If KOffice wishes to do less than ODF authorizes that is of course its
choice but I fail to see its relevance to Florian's request.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick@Durusau.net
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005