Subject: Re: [office] Tables of content. Feature request.

Dave Pawson:
> It appears that Writer files

Er, this group manages the OpenDocument specification, which is implemented by many suppliers... not just OpenOffice.org.

>with autogenerated tables of content
> don't create any sort of xml link between the toc and the body content.
> No id or xml:id is generated on the heading that could be used for a linked toc.
> This would enable easier processing of any toc, also internal links.
> Could I request such unique ID values be added to all heading levels
> for use in tocs.

If I understand you correctly, I suspect that this is NOT a limitation of the OpenDocument format.  I haven't examined this in depth, but I believe that you can do what you're requesting with the existing OpenDocument format.  Your request APPEARS to me to be a specific feature request for a specific implementation (I'm guessing you mean OpenOffice.org).  If that's what you mean, you'll need to send a feature request to the specific implementation... this group manages the OpenDocument specification, not the various implementations.

On the other hand, if you want to modify the OpenDocument specification to specifically REQUIRE that every heading include a unique id, and/or modify the specification to say that generated toc's SHOULD link to their bodies, then this is the group to do it in.  Is that what you meant by your email?

I'm sorry, I'm just not sure what you intended by your email.

--- David A. Wheeler