Subject: Re: [office] lists, can we wrap it up?

Hi Thomas

> Given two different implementations of ODF, which have different ways to
> internally do numbering. Are they in violation of the spec if they show
> different numbers for the list-items ?

Hey --- I understood your question correctly :-)

This is exactly one thing I want the TC to clarify.

My customers/users tell me YES. It is unacceptable for them if one APP tell them
1 P1
1.1 P2
1.2 P3
and the second app tells them
1 P1
1.10 P2
1.11 P3

I really value for question because I think this is a very important one which has consequences far beyond numbering,
since my customers/users tell me also that it is unaccetable for them that for example different applications have a
different page breaks.

And yes; from the viewpoint of a user there is really no difference between a difference page break and a different
numbering.

So again --- your question is very important and thanks for raising it.

I'll guess we'll end up in a discussion about layout and visual interoperability.

E.g. Michael Brauer proposed a new value for the alignment of OLE objects. We agreed to not add this value, because
adding this value will end up in different layout. So here we were concerned about layout for example.

On the other hand having 100% layout fidelity will 'cause us to specify the layout to some extend. You once raise a
question to the TC to include some kind of support for "glyph fallbacks" (if I recall correctly --- what happened to
this btw?) which also targets better visual fidelity --- I guess.

But we might get lost on the discussion that different fonts lead to different line breaks, etc...

I know that this is a tough topic. Thanks you so much for raising it. I really want an answer to that from the TC too!

Since you and Oliver like YES/NO answers, I'll give you a NO answer to your question. However I really believe that
users expect a YES answer. E.g. I guess the Accessibility SC will give you a YES for this ;-)

~Florian

On Friday 23 March 2007 10:52, Florian Reuter wrote:
> Regarding your questions:
> a) http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200703/msg00238.html
>
> When I understood correctly I guess the answer is yes. However I'm not
> clear I understood 3).
>
> But the numbering in the APPs (X) and (Y) actually display are different,
> agreed?

Hi Florian,
please try again;
these two sentences contradict each other.

Basic question;
Given two different implementations of ODF, which have different ways to
internally do numbering. Are they in violation of the spec if they show
different numbers for the list-items ?

This really is vital to my understanding of your requirements and backgrounds.
--
Thomas Zander