Subject: Re: [office] lists, can we wrap it up?

On Friday 23 March 2007, Florian Reuter wrote:
> And yes; from the viewpoint of a user there is really no difference between a difference page break and a different
> numbering.

I disagree, and I beg not to mix topics ;)
All apps that conform to the spec should show the same numbers, this is vital,
much more than page breaks. We have no control over fonts and all the little things
that might affect layouting, so let's leave this topic aside for now, but this is no
reason not to standardize on paragraph numbering. Two implementations of ODF
should always show the same numbers for the same document, otherwise ODF failed
at a very basic level (sorry for the dooms-day words, but IMHO interoperability at -that-
level is vital).

> Are [two implementations] in violation of the spec if they show different numbers for the list-items ?
YES.

Numbers are almost part of the text content (e.g. they even belong in a plain text export),
they have to be the same everywhere (unlike e.g. word breaking and general layouting).