Subject: Re: [office] Question regarding user expectance.

On 3/26/07, David Faure <faure@kde.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 24 March 2007, marbux wrote:
> > As a general matter, I'd say that when identical presentation is
> > required, formats like PDF with embedded fonts are the right solution.
>
> I completely agree. However I was referring to the number in front of paragraphs,
> not to the text layout and fonts etc.
> Don't you agree that opening a given ODF document in any office suite should show
> the same text _and_ the same numbers in front of paragraphs? In my opinion this
> isn't part of "presentation", it's really part of the contents [technically it isn't, but
> to the user it is].

I agree. But as I understand it, it's a bit more complicated when it
comes to compatibility with ODF 1.0 and 1.1 documents because of the
differences in implementation Florian has pointed to. I agree with his
point that at the very least the numeration should be preserved, even
if there's no work-around for the form of numbers switching, e.g.,
from 4 to IV.

On the other hand, much of the discussion has been beyond my
understanding without a lot more study and my comprehension of the
issues doesn't match yours. But maybe we need to be thinking more
creatively here, e.g., creating a worm that fixes all of the old files
worldwide. :-)

Best regards,

Marbux