Subject: Re: [office] comparingrequirements againstThomas'/David's/Oliver'sproposal

Hi David,

> counter styles worked like I expected

Do you claim that WW lists work like numbered-paragraphs according to the Sun/KOffice proposal?

In fact my finding is different. I have attached two sample OOXML docs to illustrate my findings. In my opinion these
samples clearly show that
* WW does not behave like the Sun/KOffice proposal
* WW's list-override is not compatible with the Sun/KOffice proposal

> In any case I agree with those who posted that the design of WW is orthogonal to how ODF models lists.

Right. The Sun/KOffice proposal is orthogonal to what WW/OOXML does. This is why /me (Novell) objected and came up with
an alternative proposal, since our customers demand seamless conversion between ODF and OOXML.

We believe that our proposal fits nicely into the design of ODF and
* enables seamless conversion between ODF and OOXML
* is backward compatible with ODF1.0/ODF1.1 and
* addresses the ODF1.0/ODF1.1 legacy docs which arose from the problems in the current ISO spec.

However --- as said many times behore --- this is a TC decision whether the TC considers this to be important or not.

~Florian

P.S.
I guess I'll have to address clarification of OOXML numbering in ECMA too ;-)

On Wednesday 28 March 2007, Florian Reuter wrote:
> > Nevertheless, if this algorithm would be correct and many applications
> > has implemented it, this algorithm has to be adjusted, if a new
> > feature is introduced to <text:list> lists.
>
> Nice plan ;-) Update WW 95-2007...
> So you say either WW 95-2007 changes their internal way of numbering or it can't read ODF. Interresting ;-)

I admit that I'm very surprised by your claim that WW uses such a "post-increment" algorithm.
When I worked on importing WW lists into KWord, counter styles worked like I expected, not
using this weird post increment strategy. So either I missed something really big, or I cannot
really support your claim that WW works this way.