Subject: Re: [office] List Proposal Vote Deadline on Wednesday

On Wednesday 02 May 2007 20:03:45 Gary Edwards wrote:
> The "problematic" difference between the two proposals will only be
> evident when converting from the Sun/KOffice new list model back to
> existing file formats.  Which is to say that the Sun/KOffice list model
> is a one way conversion.  The Novell proposal is designed to
> accommodate a two way conversion.

Actually, this is not true. I just realized.
David made a good explanation on how we have a proposal that uses 3 keys
and another that uses 2 keys for each list item.
The logical conclusion is that a '2 keys' model can be emulated in the
3-key model.  Simply by keeping 1 key always the same. (insert 'duh'
here ;)

Or in other words; converting a WW document into a ODF document can be
done in the 'oliver/thomas proposal' by having all your lists use 1
list-id and having different styles for each list.
The conversion back is then easy as well.

Bottom line; if there is a feature on ODF that WW doesn't support (like
the concept of one style being reused for different lists) then don't use
it and you can export just fine.  Which means that loading and saving a
WW doc can and will be loss-less if you write a good converter.

--
Thomas Zander

PGP signature