Subject: Re: [office] xml:lang settings. Confused.

On 20/06/07, Eike Rathke <erack@sun.com> wrote:

> > >How exactly should a "change to" look like?
> >
> > That the specification states how xml:lang is set, and that the attribute
> > is used as per http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#sec-lang-tag .
> > It would need to address the relationship to the various other metadata
> > usages (or remove them which sounds simpler).
>
> No, I was referring to the change process itself; IF we introduced
> xml:lang we'd have to provide a migration path from fo:* attributes to
> xml:lang and vice versa.

I thought forward compatibility was the issue? rev 1.0 should be readable
by 2.0, not the other way round?

For forward, it shouldn't be much of a transform above the identity transform?

 Additionally all applications would have to
> adapt their load/store procedures quite significantly.

Why? Note I have no knowledge of the application level.
To me the value of odf is the xml on disk. The apps are temporal.

The load would be the 'update' from old to new rev.... assuming
the old version has its rev defined (I hope by 1.2 we'll have a version
atttribute on the root element mandated)

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.