Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] Re: [office] use cases for "is-subtable" attribute

Lars,

The bottom line is a blind user is navigating a spreadsheet and when you drop in a subtable the reference to the cells does not match the underlying header. Blind users use the grid structure and headings to maintain a point of reference. When that is not consistent the user gets lost. We ran into this problem working with freedom scientific and our ODF 1.1 support by the Notes 8 Productivity Editors. The JAWS developer, who is blind, got lost and asked that we correct the issue.

Please see section 3.3 of this document. It is pretty self explanatory. Here you will see the use .B2.B1 under a row header of C1. The user is lost.

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/download.php/24546/ODF_Accessibility_Guidelines_26_5July2007.odt

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers,

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer
Inactive hide details for "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>

          "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>

          07/09/2007 12:23 PM

"Lars Oppermann" <Lars.Oppermann@sun.com>

cc

"OASIS Office" <office@lists.oasis-open.org>, office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org

Subject

[office-accessibility] Re: [office] use cases for "is-subtable" attribute

On 09/07/07, Lars Oppermann <Lars.Oppermann@sun.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Could you elaborate a bit more on the reasons why a nested table is a
> problem for access technology? From my (naive) point of view, it would
> appear somewhat more confusing to navigate a lot of spanned cells rather
> than entering a subtable.

Suggestion.

Find a friendly access technology user, perhaps a blind person?
Ask them how table navigation works.

If you sit alongside them, they can guide you through table navigation.
Better still, put on a blindfold and try it for yourself.
cell spanning has been around for a while.
sub-tables seems to be an ODF invention?

Either believe the accessibility sub-committee or find out from an end user.
I'm sure Peter or Rich can introduce you to an AT user if you ask nicely.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.