Subject: Re: [office] OpenDocument TC coordination call minutes 2007-08-13

On Monday 13 August 2007 22:39:23 Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> They are too general. What does it *really*
> mean in practice -- for ODF or any office document format -- to adopt
> the following definition?
>
> "For the purpose of this policy statement, interoperability is
> understood to be the ability of two or more IT systems to exchange
> information at one or more standardised interfaces and to make mutual
> use of the information that has been exchanged."

Indeed, the above quote is an empty requirement, it is reached by any and
all specifications that describe the expected interpretation of the
specified data.  Which, well, *is* exactly what a specification is.

I agree with the point that just quoting the word 'interoperability' is
not very useful anymore. At minimum such claims should specify if you
talk about being able to roundtrip between (different) ODF
implementations OR if you mean interoperability with external competing
specification(s).

It seems that Florian meant the former.
--
Thomas Zander