Subject: spreadsheet table:cell/table:table was: Re: [office] OpenDocument TCcoordination call minutes 2007-08-13

Hi Kohei,

I agree with Andreas here, disallowing it and then putting it back in
once we see that we need; thus changing the schema back and forth
doesn't really help that much.

I understand that the problem comes somewhat from the perspective of how
formulas would be able to access the nested table. Michael already send
a message to David et al. from the formula SC to ask their opinion on this.

In principle however I don't think that this is such a big issue. A cell
that holds a table may not be so much different from a cell that holds
an image: its value-attribute is empty, and that is what would be passed
to a formula that references it. My understanding would thus be that a
nested table is currently opaque from the point of view of formulas in
the surrounding table.

Andreas has suggested some interesting applications for recursive tables
in spreadsheet while we were discussing subtables. For instance I recall
the idea to use them to represent matrix types. The potential to have
this kind of progress would be another reason to keep the schema as it
is. A clarification that nested tables cannot be accessed from formulas
may be good, if the assumptions that I made above hold. Lets see what
the formula experst have to say to this...

Cheers,
Lars