Subject: Re: [office] Clarification for frame formatting propertystyle:flow-with-text

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 17 September 2007 12:32:20 Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software
> Engineer - Sun Microsystems wrote:
>> OpenOffice.org's interpretation of style:flow-with-text is the following:
>> - style:flow-with-text = true means, that the object flows with the text
>> respectively follows the text flow of its layout environment. It stays
>> inside its layout environment and if needed due to its position it flows
>> into the next corresponding layout environment - e.g. for layout
>> environment page's text area. If no next corresponding layout
>> environment exists, typical for page header/footer area, the object is
>> captured inside its layout environment.
>> There are same exceptions and special behaviors, which can be found in
>> the attached OpenOffice.org specification.
>
> I'm not convinced that we need a different (auto defined) behavior of
> capturing (or clipping is what we call it in KOffice) the embedded object for
> the different containers.
>
> For example;
> If I have a table of items and I add a bright yellow graphic with the
> text "TIP" as an anchored frame to the text in row 4 then I can totally see
> that the user would want to make the graphic be left-aligned to the page
> margin, and thus be positioned outside the table itself.
>
> In other words; if you want to have some way to 'capture' the embedded item
> inside its layout environment, I suggest you make a proposal that adds a
> property to specify the capturing behavior of that anchor. I'd also like to
> call it "clipping" as thats the technical term used in graphics for this
> behavior.
>
> Something like adding this to the embedded object; "clip-to-parent="  With
> values like "None", "Table Cell", "Text Area", "Page"
>

> Cheers

There seems to be a misunderstanding.
I'm not proposing any new feature. The feature, namely frame formatting
property style:flow-with-text, already exists. I only want to state that
the current specification text doesn't define all use cases and I'm
asking to add the missing definitions to the specification text.

BTW, the frame formatting property style:flow-with-text has originally
been proposed by the former Sun TC member Daniel Vogelheim for
OpenOffice.org. The property's purpose is to reflect the OpenOffice.org
feature, which has been described in the specification, I've mentioned
and attached in my previous eMail.

Regards, Oliver.