Subject: Re: [office] Request for TC approval of our ODF Accessibility Guidelinesdocument as a "Committee Draft"

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

Peter.Korn@Sun.COM wrote on 10/12/2007 04:57:34 PM:

> [...]
> supporting ATK/AT-SPI), those are the known, proven paths that work
> today to support existing assistive technologies that users on UNIX are
> today successfully using for desktop access.  As you may know, I am
> involved and engaged with the Trolltech Qt accessibility team and
> effort, and eagerly await the day - not too far off I hope! - where the
> UNIX screen readers and the API-based on-screen keyboard are working
> well with Qt.  The instant that this is the case, I believe it would be
> appropriate to include that in the "here and now" advice we give to
> developers.
>
> You may note that we aren't recommending UNO as a path to Windows XP and
> Macintosh API support.  There is active work going on in those areas -
> just as there is active work in process for Qt accessibility
> interoperability with Orca and GOK - but as that work is not ready to
> deploy now, we did not feel they should be mentioned in a "what works
> today" document.  Please believe me - no favoritism for or slight
> against any technology is intended with this text.
>
> We are beginning to working on the v1.1, and I expect this section will
> expand to cover additional approaches that will be ready for end-user
> use by the time the v1.1 document is finished.
>
> We could add a new section - between the existing 2.3.2 and 2.3.3 - that
> notes "Engineered Accessibility Frameworks of the future", and suggest
> that Qt is something that should be evaluated at the time of
> implementation to see if it is at that time interoperable with key AT
> like screen readers.  As Orca is moving to pyspi for GNOME 2.22 which is
> a potential target for Harald and the Qt accessibility folks as a
> possible layer that isolates the infrastructure from CORBA (allowing a
> DBUS implementation as used by Qt to work as well), we may be less than
> 6 months away from this being a deployable solution.  But as this is a
> "here and now" recommendation, we should not recommend what isn't ready
> at the time of publication.
>

> Regarding the glossary entry for GNOME, that text did change since my
> request for TC review of the subcommittee draft #1 document; though it
> is unchanged from subcommittee draft #2 of July 25th.
>
> With the subcommittee draft #2, we updated a number of glossary entries
> to provide more information and context for the technologies in
> question.  For example, the entry about "IAccessible2" notes that it was
> developed by IBM and submitted to the Free Standards Group; the entries
> for FilterKeys, ShowSounds, SlowKeys, SoundSentry, StickyKeys, and
> ToggleKeys all note that they were developed by the Trace Center.  If we
> want to add an entry about the Qt accessibility framework (which would
> particularly make sense if we insert a new section after 2.3.2 to note
> frameworks of the future) then I would likewise note where that work
> came from - Trolltech - in parallel to these others.

I don't mind adding a heads up for future frameworks but perhaps it is better
to address the Trolltech work in 1.2 once it is working.

These guidelines and our accessibility review and modifications to ODF 1.1,
are first and foremost about interoperability. Accessibility reviews don't usually
got to that level of detail which is why the first W3C web content accessibility guidelines
have holes as does HTML with respect to accessibility. That is why I introduced
ARIA (formerly DHTML Accessibility) to the W3C and it is also the motivation for many
of the changes for W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0.

Developers need to know how to support a solution that is interoperable with
assistive technologies. If ATs don't support what you are providing the developers
get frustrated and often walk. The Qt accessibility people have done an outstanding
job moving that framework forward but it is just not supported by ATs yet.

These guidelines were to direct office developers toward a solution which will
work with ATs. I agree with Peter that I hope by ODF 1.2 Trolltech will be there
and we can include them in the list of supporting frameworks.

The point about saying that IAccessible2 was donated by IBM was merely to point out
that large companies feel accessibility is important enought to go the extra mile
and get it out there. It is also a statement that "out there" should mean "open and free
to use by all." 5 years from now nobody will remember that IBM ever donated it. Hopefully,
we will have moved on, to address new issues, and won't be milking the same old press releases. :-)

If there is a concern about mentioning IBM here we can remove it. I would like
to mention IAccessible2 as it does deal with interoperability.