Subject: Re: [office] Clarification for frame formatting property style:flow-with-text

Thomas,

This issue came up for discussion today at the TC call and it was
suggested that the rest of the TC review the posts and comment.

I have a question about something you say below.

Thomas Zander wrote:
> Morning Oliver.

<snip>
>> I only want to clarify these use cases. I think I can do this, because I
>> am somehow the original author of this frame formatting property, but
>> somehow in the communication process to the OASIS ODF TC some stuff is
>> lost.
>>

> Luckely I spotted this in time then, or else KOffice would not be able to
> express its fuller feature set of embedding in ODF :)
>
> Bottom line; your different 'usecases' here should not be expressed add-ons to
> the style:flow-with-text property as that will only work for the model that
> OOo made up. Its not very flexible and it certainly will not work for
> KOffice.

In what way would the suggestion not work for KOffice? (just a pointer
to the relevant part of KOffice documentation is fine if too long to repeat)

I am also interested in the "fuller feature set" if you have time to
point to it.
> I do agree that clipping would be great to have, but that for sure is a
> different feature which we should get into ODF.
>
> I suggested "clip-to-parent" as a new property, would that work for you?
>

>> Nowadays, we've improved our processes to assure that nothing is
>> lost on the way from the team, which is responsible for the development
>> of a new feature in OpenOffice.org, to the OASIS ODF TC.
>>

> Which is great. It would be even better if you can take into account some
> discussions with us (KDE) to make sure your proposals are not too much aimed
> at just one implementation.

Do you have any suggestions on how the TC can do a better job of
considering issues raised in KDE discussions?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

> 1) your usage of the term 'usecase' is confusing as it doesn't relate to the
> definition of the word (see wikipedia for example).  Specifically its not
> about different behavior that the user wants.  Its about different technical
> circumstances.

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Acting Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, OpenDocument Format (OASIS, ISO/IEC 26300)