Subject: Re: [office] Drawing page names (Re: [office] OpenDocument TC MeetingMinutes 2006-02-13)

Hi,

I have discussed the results of our discussion in the last TC call with
Christian. He suggests that we adapt solution B (the draw:display-name)
a little, and add <svg:title> and <svg:description> elements instead of
a "draw:display-name" attribute. That is, the draw:name attribute would
stay unique, but the <svg:title> element could be used to add a
non-unique name or title to the page.  The two elements <svg:title> and
<svg:description> exist for shapes already. The solution therefore would
be consistent with shapes

Christian further suggest that we take first actions to deprecate the
draw:id attribute in favour of the new xml:id attribute, by stating that
they can only appear together, and must have the same name.

See below for mor details:

> Current Situation
>
> a <draw:page> element has the following attributes
>
> "draw:id" defined as a unique id for drawing pages. In OpenOffice.org (OOo), this was never used prior to OOo 2.3.
> It is currently only used for redundant slide transition information.
>
> "draw:name" defined as an optional but unique name. OOo either writes a programmatic name ("page1", "page2", etc) or
> a user defined one, which can contain white space. In the xml format it is used for links referring to slides inside a document
> and also when defining a custom show. This has the consequence that such links break if the user renames the slide.
>
> a shape element has the following attributes
>
> "draw:id" defined as a unique id for shapes. This is used to identify shapes for animation effects.
>
> "draw:name" is an optional attribute. It is not documented if this has to be unique. In the OOo implementation, shape names
> are enforced to be unique but only for shapes on one slide. For historical reasons this is also used for links to shapes in OOo. This feature
> breaks if there are multiple shapes with the same name on different slides.
>
> In addition a shape has the elements <svg:title> and <svg:description> to specify text-only description strings for graphical
> objects as specified in §5.4 of [SVG]. This was a A11Y requirement.
>
> Request for non unique page names
>
> The initial request was that the name of a page should not be enforced to be unique. To be consisted and to fulfill
> A11Y requirements the <draw:page> element must also have the elements <svg:title> and <svg:description>.
> In this context the title could be seen as the display name as proposed in solution B. For backward compatibility,
> if no title is given then the name must be used. On the user interface the title must become what the user normally
> refers to as the name of the page.
>
> A new request would be to prepare a conform way to identify pages and shape elements inside an odf document.
> To enable linking to meta information we must have the xml:id attribute for pages (and optionally for shapes).
> This would lead to the situation where we have the xml:id, the draw:id and the draw:name documented as kind
> of identifiers for pages (and shapes).
> To have a clean format I propose to add xml:id to both draw:page and all shape elements. It will be document that
> draw:id attribute is deprecated and that applications must for now export the draw:id attribute with the same value
> as the xml:id element. The attribute draw:id should be removed in a later version as soon as there is no more demand
> for backward compatibility.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten