Subject: Re: [office] text:meta-field

On 10/30/07, Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote:

> Well, I don't know this makes a case for "inline" metadata but simply
> that you need to apply metadata to the content.

But what does that *mean*? Apply what kind of metadata? We spent
months talking about this on the metadata SC, remember? :-)

OK, we all need to take a step back and explain exactly what we mean,
b/c it appears we're all talking past one another ATM:

What I'm meaning by "inline metadata" (as it's described in the
metadata proposal) is where the content of the document represents the
literal object of an RDF triple. Use case is user wants to tag text
say it is a title, or a date, or a description. In our metadata
proposal, this gets encoded using attributes on existing content
elements.

OTOH, text:meta-field is a container for a representation of of some
resource. Use case is user wants to add a citation (a reference to a
book), or a letter-writer wants to add contact information (a
reference to a person), or a doctor wants to enter a prescription. All
of these involve encoding or linking to structured metadata (as
opposed to a simple literal). All of this gets encode in RDF/XML in
the file package in our proposal.

Florian/Oliver, what is the precise use case here? Do not tell us
"customer says they want a field". Explain what do they want to do.

Bruce