Subject: feature request for enhanced OOo input fields: some suggestions fordiscussion

Dear TC members,

in the last TC call - see the corresponding meeting minutes - we agreed
on the use-case for the feature request for enhanced OOo input fields -
see http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200710/msg00120.html

According to the action item given to me in the last TC call, I want to
provide some suggestions for the discussion in order to find a solution
how this feature request can be modeled in ODF. In the following I will
call the object, which should represent this feature "enhanced OOo input
field". It's only a name, which points to the use-case we agreed on.
When we have found the solution, then it is the time to choose an
appropriate name for it

suggestions:
(1) usage of <text:meta-field> - a suggestion from Florian and others,
which has been already discussed on the TC mailing list:
usage of <text:meta-field> with the change, that the content of
<text:meta-field> can contain be usual text-content (paragraphs,
heading, tables, lists, etc.). The <text:meta-field> would represent an
"enhanced OOo input field".
Please refer to the previous discussion on the mailing list for details
on this suggestions.

(2) usage of new start and end tags:
   <text:p>Special interests:
     <text:NEW-TEXT-INPUT-START/>
     <text:span text:style-name="BoldTextStyle>hobbies:</text:span>
   </text:p>
   <text:list>
     <text:list-item>
       <text:p>german soccer league</text:p>
     </text:list-item>
   </text:list>
     <text:span text:style-name="BoldTextStyle>prog.lang:</text:span>
   </text:p>
     <text:span text:style-name="BoldTextStyle>others:</text:span>
   </text:p>
   <text:list>
     <text:list-item>
       <text:p>OpenDocument<text:NEW-TEXT-INPUT-END/></text:p>
     </text:list-item>
   </text:list>
Everything between <text:NEW-TEXT-INPUT-START> and
<text:NEW-TEXT-INPUT-END> would represent an "enhanced OOo input field".

(3) usage of existing bookmark start and end tags (<text:bookmark-start>
and <text:bookmark-end>) together with meta data connected to the
bookmark, which tells the application, that it is a special bookmark
representing an "enhanced OOo input field". To get a view of the
corresponding markup replace <text:NEW-TEXT-INPUT-START> and
<text:NEW-TEXT-INPUT-END> by bookmark start and end tags in the markup
of the previous suggestion. Everything between the bookmark start and
the bookmark end would represent an "enhanced OOo input field".

(4) usage of new element <text:NEW-ELEMENT> with the following features:
- occurs where usual text-content can occur such as paragraphs,
headings, tables, lists, etc.
- its content is text-content
- optional content <text:NEW-ELEMENT-PREFIX>, which contains usual
paragraph content. If the first content of <text:NEW-ELEMENT> is a
paragraph, the content of <text:NEW-ELEMENT-PREFIX> is merged into this
paragraph at the beginning.
- optional content <text:NEW-ELEMENT-SUFFIX>, which contains usual
paragraph content. If the last content of <text:NEW-ELEMENT> is a
paragraph, the content of <text:NEW-ELEMENT-SUFFUX> is merged into this
paragraph at the end.
<text:NEW-ELEMENT>
   <text:NEW-ELEMENT-PREFIX>
     Special interests:
   </text:NEW-ELEMENT-PREFIX>
   <text:p>
     <text:span text:style-name="BoldTextStyle>hobbies:</text:span>
   </text:p>
   <text:list>
     <text:list-item>
       <text:p>german soccer league</text:p>
     </text:list-item>
   </text:list>
     <text:span text:style-name="BoldTextStyle>prog.lang:</text:span>
   </text:p>
     <text:span text:style-name="BoldTextStyle>others:</text:span>
   </text:p>
   <text:list>
     <text:list-item>
       <text:p>OpenDocument</text:p>
     </text:list-item>
   </text:list>
</text:NEW-ELEMENT>
<text:NEW-ELEMENT> would represent an "enhanced OOo input field,

Please take these suggestions as a starting point to find an approriate
solution for the feature request. Please make further or improved
suggestions.

Some of my thoughts about these suggestions are:
a) (1) allows nesting paragraphs (<text:p> elements) inside a paragraph.
In my opinion this is not a good idea. The merging of the first
paragraph of the "enhanced OOo input field" with the surrounding
paragraph is currently not clear. The same holds for the last paragraph
of the "enhanced OOo input field".
b) (2) and (3) are mostly the same with the difference, that (2) could
be implemented with already existing features of ODF (bookmarks and meta
data).
c) (2) and (3) represents the "enhanced OOo input field" outside the
usual xml structure.
d) (2) and (3) would also allow, that an "enhanced OOo input field"
could contain only a part of a table or list.
e) (4) tries to avoid a), c) and d)
Thus, currently my preference is on (4), but I have to admit that I do
not know all the Pros and Cons.

Regards, Oliver.