Subject: Re: [office] ODF at Microsoft Interoperability Track at XML 2007

Carol,

I have no real moral qualms about allowing vendors to buy conference
tracks as it does help with conference expenses.

However, I do think there should be some "good taste" and timing
restrictions on major issues like interoperability.

Such as have the other *major* vendors with an interest in the area been
given an opportunity to display their products?

I would hate to think that markup has devolved from the heady days when
demonstrating any interoperability at all was the high point of a markup
conference that multiple apps could read the same SGML file to hawking a
single vendor's plugin merits a conference title of "interoperability."

Who knows? The next type of doublespeak we will be seeing is recasting
"vertical monopoly" as "vertical interoperability" if that hasn't
happened already.

I have heard rumors, rumors only mind you, of serious discussions in the
offing with OASIS at the center of *real* non-vendor specific, gasp, can
it be?, standards based interoperability discussions early next year.
That would be really welcome relief to vendor sponsored FUD and equally
not useful two and three letter vendor 'Bleak House' type machinations
around the globe. As one standards "type" person to another, I would
like to see serious threats by ISO/IEC/JTC 1 of "life time" bans of
participants for conduct not promoting standardization. (Noting that
protests of ignorance or innocence will fall on deaf ears here so guilty
parties *across* the vendor-scape need not bother.)

Hope you are having a Happy Thanksgiving!

Patrick