Subject: Re: [office] Chart legend orientation

Hi David,

not being a chart expert I have asked Bjoern Milcke for his opinion:

David Faure wrote:
> It seems that ODF is currently missing a way of specifying the orientation of the legend.
> Currently (in OpenOffice.org for instance) there's no way to set it directly, but it's automatically changed when you set the legend's position:
> when you position it right/left, it's set to vertical, otherwise to horizontal.
> But that doesn't really make sense for the case you want to move the legend around freely.
>
> The proposal is to add a chart:legend-orientation attribute to the <chart:legend> tag.
>
> Something like this in compact notation:
>
> chart-legend-attlist &=
>     attribute chart:legend-orientation {
>         "horizontal" | "vertical" | "auto"
>     }?

According to Bjoern, this is covered already be the
style:legend-expansion attributed described in section "10.4.2 Legend
Expansion" of draft 6. Its value "wide" seems to correspond with your
value "horizontal", the value "high" with "vertical".

> Something else: there is no attribute for the title of the legend, right?
> Not the chart title, but the text shown inside the legend, which is usually
> "Legend" or nothing at all. Could this be added as well?

Bjoern's suggestion for this is to add a sub-element <chart:title>,
similar as to they way the text for the <chart:axis> element is defined.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten