Subject: Re: [office] Possible teleconference with Burton

Patrick:

I am going to disagree with you:

On 1/22/08 1:19 PM, "Patrick Durusau" <patrick@durusau.net> wrote:
<SNIP/>
> Let me put it another way:
>
> Start with a source language, any source language. You want to
> standardize a target for the conversion of that source language, with
> some additional features that do not appear in the source language.
>
> Is it meaningful to standardize a target language in the absence of a
> mapping from the source language?
DN: why not?  There are many standards like PDF, *.doc (various versions),
ODF, HTML, etc that can be mapped to from many constructs like code, text,
etc.  Defining the target language enables those who want to convert to have
a target.  It would literally be impossible to create a comprehensive
mapping to and from all formats.  If someone wants to map, they have a
source format, a target format and a complete sub industry called
"Middleware" (for better or worse).

> If a mapping is standardized, then there is no need for an open source
> project to produce one.
DN: false.  The standard and the implementation of a standard are two
different things.  Having a bunch of text that explains how to map from A to
B does not physically map A to B, just provides the information.  Someone
still have to build it.  In fact, without the implementation to prove it
works, the theory on mapping is not proven.

> Unless the community wanted one that was
> different from the one specified in the standard. But as I noted
> originally, there is no such mapping in the proposed standard.

DN: I could map several things to OOXML.  I can create OOXML from PDF with
Java, CPP, MXML, Actionscript and others.

> Hope you are having a great day!

DN: am having a great day except for looking out my window and seeing
Cypress mountain ski resort buried under 15 feet of snow with me sitting
inside working. ;-)

Cheers!

Duane

> Patrick
>> For the record, I am not an MS fan and use a Mac.
>>
>> Duane

"Speaking only for myself"
Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
Adobe MAX 2008 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2007/08/adobe-max-2008.html