Subject: Re: [office] Angle units (Re: [office] OpenDocument TC CoordinationCall Minutes 2006-07-10)

David, all,

this is what Christian Lippka thinks of your suggestions:

> I agree with David here to write out the unit so that we are able to fix old documents. Documenting  that we export
> the degree x 10 does not sound like a good solution for the format.
> I would further recommend to define angles with given unit for all attributes that store angles to be consistent, even
> if they are already documented to use degrees.

What you and Christian say all sounds reasonable to me.

I've checked what units SVG, CSS2 and XSL-FO provide:

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/types.html#BasicDataTypes
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/syndata.html#q19
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/#azimuth

In all three cases, it is "deg", "rad" and "grad".

Does someone has a list of all attributes that would be affected by this
change?

David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 17 January 2008, David Faure wrote:
>> Can the spec be changed to specify degrees for those three angles?
>
> There might be a compability issue here though, since OOo currently generates
> an angle in tens of degrees (!)
>
> Sven wrote:
>> Here is a snippet from a file a generated with OOo using a 63 degrees gradient:
>
>> <draw:gradient draw:name="Gradient_20_8" draw:display-name="Gradient
>> 8" draw:style="linear" draw:start-color="#000080"
>> draw:end-color="#ffffff" draw:start-intensity="100%"
>> draw:end-intensity="100%" draw:angle="630" draw:border="0%"/>
>
>> As you can see the angle is 630. I discussed that with Jan and we
>> concluded that it's probably angle in degrees multiplied with 10,
>> though this isn't used anywhere is the spec.
>
> I think a solution would be to ask implementations to write out the unit, like draw:angle="63deg".
> This way we could differ old-style values (like the undocumented 630) and new-style values (with the unit specified explicitely).
>
> But then we would have a lack of consistency between the angle units where a unit should be specified
> and those where it's implicit from the spec...

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten