Subject: regarding proposal for enhanced OOo input fields

Dear TC members,

in the last days I was working on a proposal for the feature request for
enhanced OOo input fields.
I have been discussing this proposal with certain OpenOffice.org
developers from Sun and Novell, especially Florian Reuter, who already
is been working on an implementation for OpenOffice.org.
The discussions revealed that in the future there will be similar
feature requests to ODF for further OpenOffice.org fields - existing
ones and new ones.
Background of these future enhancements of the OpenOffice.org fields
functionality are:
- OpenOffice.org community requests for enhancement.
- usability issues.
- issues to improve interoperability of OpenOffice.org text documents
with Microsoft Word documents.

We, mainly Florian Reuter and myself, came to the conclusion, that it
would be better to have a more general feature in ODF to fulfill these
requests for OpenOffice.org. We also think that it does not make sense
to have now a feature in ODF, which fulfills the enhancements for one of
OpenOffice.org fields, namely the enhanced OOo input field.

Thus, we want to draw back the feature request/proposal for enhanced OOo
input fields for the moment.
But, we are planning to come up with a more general request in the next
weeks. Because of its nature this request won't be a minor feature
enhancement for ODF. Thus, we think, that it will be nothing for ODF
1.2, but for the following version of ODF.

Regards, Oliver.

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
Nagelsweg 55             Software Engineer - OpenOffice.org/StarOffice
20097 Hamburg
Germany
http://www.sun.de        mailto:oliver-rainer.wittmann@sun.com
Sitz der Gesellschaft:

Oliver-Rainer Wittmann (od) - OpenOffice.org Writer