Subject: Re: [office] regarding proposal for enhanced OOo input fields

Oliver,

It is good news that there will be a more generalized mechanism.

I would like to see the proposal before agreeing that it is too big a
change to appear in ODF 1.2.

I think there is an expectation for an enhanced input field. Would it be
possible to separate that out from the larger proposal such that a later
version of ODF could simply extend it to become part of the more general
mechanism?

I guess that discussion will have to wait until more detail about the
proposal is known.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software Engineer - Sun Microsystems wrote:
> Dear TC members,
>
> in the last days I was working on a proposal for the feature request for
> enhanced OOo input fields.
> I have been discussing this proposal with certain OpenOffice.org
> developers from Sun and Novell, especially Florian Reuter, who already
> is been working on an implementation for OpenOffice.org.
> The discussions revealed that in the future there will be similar
> feature requests to ODF for further OpenOffice.org fields - existing
> ones and new ones.
> Background of these future enhancements of the OpenOffice.org fields
> functionality are:
> - OpenOffice.org community requests for enhancement.
> - usability issues.
> - issues to improve interoperability of OpenOffice.org text documents
> with Microsoft Word documents.
>
> We, mainly Florian Reuter and myself, came to the conclusion, that it
> would be better to have a more general feature in ODF to fulfill these
> requests for OpenOffice.org. We also think that it does not make sense
> to have now a feature in ODF, which fulfills the enhancements for one of
> OpenOffice.org fields, namely the enhanced OOo input field.
>
> Thus, we want to draw back the feature request/proposal for enhanced OOo
> input fields for the moment.
> But, we are planning to come up with a more general request in the next
> weeks. Because of its nature this request won't be a minor feature
> enhancement for ODF. Thus, we think, that it will be nothing for ODF
> 1.2, but for the following version of ODF.
>
> Regards, Oliver.

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)