Subject: Re: [office] Default Style Comparison document

Hi David,

David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:

> Are you sure that the default value for text:number-lines is true in OOo? Surely lines are not numbered by default?

Thanks for alerting me. I have checked what the situation is. It is as
follows:

There are two switches for line numbering. The first is at the
<text:line-numbering-configuration> element and controls line numbering
for the document itself. The later is a paragraph formatting property,
and it controls whether a certain paragraph gets line numbers if (and
only if) line numbering is enabled for the document itself. Even if its
value is true, lines are not numbered if the switch in the
<text:line-numbering-configuration> is false. The paragrapg formatting
property can be used to control by styles or per paragraph (using
automatic styles) whether line should be numbered or not, provided that
line numbering is enabled.

This is at least that was intended. Unfortunately the description of the
two text:number-lines does not make clear what the difference between
the two is. We should somehow clarify that for ODF 1.2.

The reason for having the switch in the
<text:line-numbering-configuration> element is actually to have a single
place where line numbering can be enabled or disabled. Without that
switch, line-numbering would have to be enabled or disabled at every
paragraph style (including automatic styles) that has a
text:line-numbering attribute, what is not very convenient.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten