Subject: Re: [office] auto-play presentation file format like PPS - MIME type parameter

These ideas could be stated more generally as the following two ideas.

1) We want to define a preferred view for the doc.
2) We want to include configuration information for that preferred view.

For (1), I like having the default view reflected in the mimetype.
However, do seems to require a backward-hostile change of adding a
mimetype option that may not be allowed by the current standard. I
don't think that we should blindside implementers with such a change.
Having said all that, I think it makes sense to add the preferred view
into the manifest.xml in any case.

For (2), the configuration storage for types of different preferred
views should not be a static one-size-fit-all type of solution. I
personally think that we should only define the semantics for autoplay
presentations, read-only, and edit views in this version unless there
is a strong consensus on what configuration for other view types
should look like. This type of configuration probably belongs in
settings.xml.

Both of these concepts should be easily extendable for new and
creative uses of preferred views.

As an extension (2), it would probably be useful to store
configurations for views that are not necessarily preferred so that
someone could open the file in the other views and still get
appropriate configurations for those views. Given this idea, I don't
think that the configuration should be marked as preferred in
settings.xml. Just let the manifest.xml do that stuff.

Later,
wt