Subject: More on chart:class (different issue)

Greetings!

When looking at the chart:class attribute that specifies the "type" of a
chart we find:

    *

      |line| – the data points of each data series are connected through
      lines.

    *

      |area| – the area below a data series is filled, and additional
      data series are stacked.

etc.

And the notation that all these values are prepended with a namespace.
If you want additional types, then supply another namespace.

We also say that types can be further specified by adding more
formatting properties.

Actually, what is being described both by the "type" and by the
additional formatting properties is the formating for a chart. One
assumes the data/input to the chart is the same and all that varies is
the presentation of that data.

First issue:

If that is the case, then we really need to define more precisely what
is meant for each of the "types" as we use the term for this attribute.
The definition: "the area below a data series is filled, and additional
data series are stacked" is rather imprecise.

Contrast that with:

****
An area graph is drawn on an X-Y grid and the area between the line and
the X-axis is usually a different color from the area above the line. By
default, each data set is drawn as a percentage of the sum of all the
data sets represented.

Note: This is also known as a "stacked" area graph.
****

I rather shamelessly reworded all that from:
http://www.graphicsserver.com/com_products/GraphChoiceArea.aspx

Do note it wasn't necessary to use a graphic or example to clearly
express what was being defined.

We don't by default support absolute or stacked percentage graphs.

Second issue:

We say that with a namespace that other graph types can be specified.

OK, how does that impact interoperability?

Should we require (*must*) the inclusion of a rendered version of a
graph when a document is saved? It would not be updated by an
application that does not support a particular graph type but at least
it could be displayed.

If an application can only display a graph, should it have some required
text to display? Such as "Stored Rendering, May Not Be Current"?

That seems a bit verbose to me but I do think we need to have a standard
signal that updated information is not being conveyed by the document
plus the current application.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34