Subject: Re: [office] Groups - ODF_Element_Naming_01(ODF_Element_Naming_01.pdf) uploaded

Patrick,

Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:
> <snip>
>> So, <text:p>, <text:h>, <text:a> have been taken from HTML (as well as
>> href and nohref). All the anim attribues have their direct
>> counterparts in SMIL, that is a W3C specification but uses other rules
>> for element and attribute names then XSL-FO, from which we took many
>> formatting properties. <draw:rect> is our counterpart to SVG's
>> <draw:rect>. The term "indent" is used in the XSL-FO specification,
>> and the term "auto", too.
>>
>> So, there are probably some situations where we have chosen
>> inconsistent names or unclear abbreviations when we have added new
>> elements and attributes. But many of the names you are listing have
>> been taken from the standards we are based on, because we are not only
>> reusing the semantics, but also the element and attribute names, and
>> their terminology.
>>
> Well, I think I avoided all cases where we "borrowed" names that retain
> their original namespaces, such as anything in fo: or smil: for example

Yes, that's true.

> Granted that when we use anything from a foreign namespace that we are
> bound to follow its original naming convention.
>
> I am not sure the same thinking applies when we simply re-use a name for
> our own purposes.

Well, the situation for elements was that we always moved them into our
own namespaces, because we required additional attributes which are not
present in the "original" element. But we borrowed the element name anyway.

We furthermore tried to reuse names that are typically used in other
standards if we added our own attributes. An example is the
style:auto-text-indent attribute. It is some kind of extension of
XSL-FO's text-indent attribute. It therefore seemed to be reasonable to
name it "auto-text-indent" (or maybe "automatic-text-indent") rather
than "auto-text-indentation" or "automatic-text-indentation".

> And I fully agree that we should follow the semantics of borrowed
> elements as well. That is a very good point.
>
> Hope you are at the start of a great week!
>
> Patrick

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten