Subject: Re: [office] Please put this discussion

Hi Bruce,

nah --- its a bigger scope this time than the nested-field discussion we had before.

OOXML-like fields as well as bookmarks are used by developers to mark parts of the document. My proposal is trying to give them a "clean" way of doing this.

So field-marks are fo bookmarks which are controlled by scripts.  (Since OOXML-fields can be seen as special bookmarks they are also covered by bookmarks.)

A lot of developers today are using ODF-bookmarks too to mark parts of a document. They would benefit from field-marks too.

~Florian

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Florian Reuter <freuter@novell.com> wrote:

>  A note about the relationship to e.g. metadata. The metadata mechanism is incompatible with the "marking" mechanism of OOXML which is based on "special bookmarks"/Word-liel "fields". So this field-mark element is clearly for interop/harmonization and should remove the pain of using ODF bookmarks to encode MS fields...

Florian -- can you define what you mean by "incompatible"? I presume
you're just (again) bringing up the issue of overlapping markup in
fields?

If that's the case, then does that mean text:meta-field and your
proposed new field are completely orthogonal? Or might there (as I
assume based on your description of a use case of extension-generated
content) be some overlap such that we don't have two completely
different kinds of fields for the same use kind of use case?

As a simple example, in your proposal, the type of the field is
indicated with a token. In text:meta-field the field can be typed
using an rdf:type statement, where the value is in fact a URI. I
thought OOXML uses a similar URI-based mechanism to type at least one
type of field.

Bruce