Subject: Re: [office] auto-play presentation file format like PPS

Can I suggest the attribute value should be "slide-show".  It seems to capture the intersection of what we mean by "read-only" and "presentation-auto-start" in the context of presentation software, without any suggestion that this thing is going to start getting all "automatic" on us :-)

Regards
Bob

----- Original Message -----
From: "Warren Turkal" <turkal@google.com>
To: "Ming Fei Jia" <jiamingf@cn.ibm.com>
Cc: office@lists.oasis-open.org
Sent: Monday, May 5, 2008 7:20:31 PM (GMT+0200) Africa/Harare

It's not just a WHAT. I don't think that the concept applies to other
document types. The idea of starting a presentation automatically is
not the same as using a word processor document in an ebook-like mode.
There may be some similarities, but it is definitely not the same.

David has made a good case for the validity of the use case of
ebook-like functionality. Having said that, I don't have a good
description for it. We could always reserve the mode name and not
explicitly define what it does. It would allow the apps to innovate
and develop a best practice before we standardize it.

Here's how I classify the current proposed modes:

Modes I can define:
* edit
* read-only
* presentation-auto-start

Modes I don't have a good enough feel of to define:
* wordprocessor-ebook

Here's my summary of the situation as I understand it:

Issues with consensus:
* the tag should be called "preferred-view-mode"
* possible values for "preferred-view-mode" tag
  * edit
  * readonly
* the "preferred-view-mode" will have no default
* apps should be able to define custom values of "preferred-view-mode"

Unresolved issues:
* how applications represent custom values for "preferred-view-mode"
(maybe prepend with x- like email headers to avoid pollution of global
(i.e. spec defined) namespace)
* other standard defined values of the "preferred-view-mode" tag
(presentation-auto-start, play, wordprocessor-ebook)
* there should be a mode to represent a presentation that starts automatically
* there should be a mode that is something like an ebook for word processor docs

wt