Subject: Re: [office] Re: Fieldmarks: Nesting?

Hi Rob,
Hi Patrick,

> I do like your request for a better statement of the use case.

what part of:
<quote from="http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/Fieldmarks";>
Many developers use bookmarks to mark areas of the document which are controlled by special plug-ins. Since bookmarks
are not the right tools for this we propose to add a new element to the OpenDocument specification called fieldmarks.
Fieldmarks are introduced to clearly differenctiate between user-generated bookmarks and code-generated bookmarks which
we call fieldmarks. The main difference to bookmarks is that: fieldmarks need to be properly nested, fieldmarks have
additional informations, like a type attribute and a sequence of (name, value) pairs which allow applications to store
additional information about the content.
</quote>
is unclrear? Where is the disagreement?

I really believe that bookmarks are for users and we need a element for developers.

~Florian

>>> Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> 05/06/08 7:47 PM >>>
Rob,

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> I guess my question is this -- what is the usual case in real
> documents? Normal testing behavior? Or overlapping? What do users
> typically do? We should optimize for the typical case, but at the same
> time be expressive enough to handle all cases.
>
> It seems to me that the following are the only ways in which two
> elements, a and b, can relate:

> (We should ignore OOXML's strange use in VML of: <a b="base64encoded
> version of element b content"/>

Err, actually the overlap case is more complicated that it appears at
first blush.

There are some 13 cases of overlap, see:
http://www.durusau.net/publications/Concurrent_markup.pdf
> The overlap case can be expressed at least two ways:
>
> The way trick that Florian indicates: <a>fo<b-start/>o </a>bar<b-end/>

> Just a thought. But if we think most cases are going to following
> normal nesting rules (which is an open question), then why not just
> use normal element nesting syntax and handle the exception cases with
> a merge flag?
I am not familiar with the "merge" convention, at least by that name. Do
you mean that the "overlapping" element is broken into non-overlapping
pieces and then "stitched" back together due to some attribute that
matches up the pieces?

I do like your request for a better statement of the use case. I think I
would have stumbled on that eventually.

Before we talk about the how (read markup), how about a statement of the
goal that is desired.

We may need additional markup like fieldmark, or may need an additional
attribute or ...., who knows? But until we understand the goal, it is
hard to say.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

> -Rob
>
> Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 05/06/2008 11:47:31 AM:
>
> > Florian,
> >
> > Yes, there is misunderstanding and I am afraid it continues in this
> post:
> >
> > Florian Reuter wrote:
> > > Hi Patrick,
> > >
> > > I guess there is a misunderstanding:
> > >
> > > So we have fieldmark-start and fielmark-end similar to bookmark-
> > start and bookmark-end. Only difference is that
> > > fieldmark-end do not have a name and thus they are always properly
> nested.
> > >

> > Err, having names or not isn't a condition for proper nesting.
> >
> > I think you mean being "well-formed" on which the XML standard says:
> >
> > > [Definition: There is exactly one element, called the *root*, or
> > > document element, no part of which appears in the content
> > > <http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#dt-content> of any other
> > > element.] For all other elements, if the start
-tag