Subject: Re: Content of fieldmarks

Hi Patrick,

> Let's assume there is a <fieldmark> element that contains some content
> and that there are not issues with overlapping elements (that is the
> definition of well-formedness).
Unfortionately this assumption doesn't hold. Fieldmarks are property nested --- this has nothing to do with XML well-formedness.

> OK, if the plug-in fails, do I still see the content?
The text enclosed by the fieldmarks is *always* what the users sees. So there is not interop problem.

> Content, from DDE connections, for example, is stored so that if you
> pass your document along to me, assuming the content is already present,
> it will be preserved for me to view in an application without that
> capability.
Hmm --- this has nothing to do with DDE...

> So, in the way you envision fieldmarks (or whatever comes out of this
> discussion), does the content persist whether the fieldmark is processed
> or not?
Its just a mark. You will always see what is enclosed by the marks. There is no difference in whether you have a plug-in or scripts which uses the mark or not.

> Or to put it another way, is a fieldmark in your view simply addition
> processing of some content that is already otherwise part of the ODF
> document?
Yes. Its like a bookmark. Just a mark of existing content. Nothing which changes the content --- its just been marked.

~Florian

>>> Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> 05/07/08 11:14 AM >>>
Florian,

I am still trying to understand the usage of fieldmarks.

Let's assume there is a <fieldmark> element that contains some content
and that there are not issues with overlapping elements (that is the
definition of well-formedness).

OK, if the plug-in fails, do I still see the content? Minus whatever
processing the plug-in would have performed on it?

The reason I ask is that if we are writing a standard for interchange of
documents, there really should be a graceful fall back for applications
that lack certain abilities.

For example, in the current model, numbering for instance, is recorded
so that if an application lacks the ability to number parts of the
document, those numbers can still be displayed.

Content, from DDE connections, for example, is stored so that if you
pass your document along to me, assuming the content is already present,
it will be preserved for me to view in an application without that
capability.

So, in the way you envision fieldmarks (or whatever comes out of this
discussion), does the content persist whether the fieldmark is processed
or not?

Or to put it another way, is a fieldmark in your view simply addition
processing of some content that is already otherwise part of the ODF
document?

Hope you are having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34