Subject: Re: [office] ODF New Proposal Form (draft)

I agree to Rob's observations and suggestion, and fully support them.

Formalizing and structuring the proposal workflow may be a little bit
more work for proposers compared to the informal workflow we have today,
but I think we will substantially benefit from this.

The only suggestion I have is that we for larger proposals (whatever
that means) use ODF documents for the text/schema change requests rather
than the Wiki itself (which means that the "Requested changes to the ODF
Standard" section, and only that section, would be a link to a document
in the TC repository). This may save us significant work when
integrating them into the specification document.

Michael

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier.   I'm not particular
> good at tracking things.  I'm not a project manager.  One thing I have
> noticed I am particularly bad at is tracking week-to-week information in
> the agendas and the minutes and the wiki.   This probably worked better
> when Michael was the sole TC Chair, but now we alternate chairing
> meetings, and lately I feel like I've let things fall between the cracks
> or get lost.  This is why I proposed tracking the Action Items in Kavi.
>  I think that has worked well so far.  It makes things easier for me,
> and smoother for all of us.
>
> Another area that concerns me is the feature proposals for ODF.  We
> currently track them in this wiki page:
>  http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/OpenDocument_v1.2_Action_Items
>
> Items are proposed on the mailing list, get noticed by one of the Chairs
> (usually Michael) who adds them to the wiki.  We then discuss on the
> list, discuss in meetings and eventually come to some sort of decision.
>
> But it isn't as crisp and unambiguous as I'd like it to be.  What
> determines whether something is a real proposal on the list versus a
> "Gee, wouldn't it be nice if..." posting?  How do we know when a
> proposal is ready to be voted on?  When is a proposal suitable for
> voting?  Is it enough to just have a rough outline?  Or does it need to
> be fully defined?  How do we know what proposals should first be
> reviewed by the Accessibility SC?
>
> As we finish up ODF 1.2 and move onto ODF 1.3 (or ODF 2.0) I'd like the
> TC to consider submitting itself to a more disciplined approach to
> making and tracking feature proposals.  It is a little more work for the
> proposer, but I think it will increase our overall effectiveness by
> ensuring that all issues related to a proposal are raised and documented
> in one place.  It will also ensure that nothing gets lost between the
> cracks.
>
> You can get a sense of what I'm suggesting by looking at this draft of a
> "New Proposal Form" which (if the TC approves of this approach) would be
> required for all new substantive proposals (anything above the level of
> a simple editorial change):
>  http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/New_Proposal_Form
>
> The idea is to put more control into the hands of the Proposer.  They
> would initiate a new proposal by creating a new Wiki page, using this
> form as a template, and filling out the details related to their
> proposal.  At first it might be a rough draft, but all sections would
> need to be completed before it could be voted on.  Once even the rough
> draft of the form is entered, discussion could occur on the list to
> refine the idea.  Once the Proposer determines that the proposal is
> ready, then he/she would let one of the Chair's know, and we would
> schedule it for a vote at a future TC call.  The Chairs would track the
> progress of the proposal in the "workflow" section, indicating when the
> [...]

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten