Subject: Re: [office] Next set of public comments for review (#18-#35)

"David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler@dwheeler.com> wrote on 06/02/2008 06:47:48 PM:

> I believe #24 is done.  This involved handling references to
> empty cells; new text in section 4 (Types) clarifies what happens in
> these cases.
>
> Basically, there isn't a special type called the empty type.
> Instead, there is
> a type "Reference", which _may_ refer to empty cells or ranges that include
> empty cells.  What happens to empty cells depends on the required types
> and implicit conversion rules, as defined in section 4.  E.G., if you use a
> function that requires "Number", but instead is given a reference to an
> empty cell, then the reference is converted to the number 0.  If the
> function requires
> a NumberSequence, all the empty cells are ignored when creating a
> NumberSequence
> (and just like strings, NumberSequences can be 0 length).

Is there a distinction between an empty cell and a non-existent cell?  For example, if an implementation supports only 16,000 columns, A-IV, a common spreadsheet limitation, then what happens when a spreadsheet formula has a range that extends beyond column IV?  Is that an error?  Or are these cells empty? Do we call this out anyplace?

I think that was the thrust of the original comment #24 -- non existent cells.