Subject: Re: [office] proposal; Amend fo:letter-spacing

Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org> wrote on 06/05/2008 11:56:45 AM:

> Hello TC,
>
> In ODF the letter spacing attribute specifies the amount of space between
> letters. This is the way that XSL does things and this is fine for things
> like webpages.
> Unfortunately for DTP applications this is not really what is expected. The
> spacing between characters in DTP is not a static value, it is a percentage
> value.  Basically when you have an 'm' the spacing adjustment is wider than
> when you have an 'i'.
> In KOffice we intend to use the percentage based letter spacing
> adjustment and
> we were surprised reading the spec (and trying out OOo) that this is not
> possible.  Would it be possible to adjust the spec to also allow percentage
> based values?
>
> Which would add the <ref name="percent"/> and we end up with the following;
>
> <define name="style-text-properties-attlist" combine="interleave">
>     <optional>
>         <attribute name="fo:letter-spacing">
>             <choice>
>                 <ref name="length"/>
>                 <value>normal</value>
>                 <ref name="percent"/>
>             </choice>
>         </attribute>
>     </optional>
> </define>

I wonder if you already have the ability to do this with length?  Specifically, if I set length to be 0.5em, does this really mean that exactly 0.5em is added after every character?  Or does it mean that a nominal 0.5em is added, but the actual space applied is kerned according to typeface-specific ratios?

In other words, don't we have a model where we specify nominal spacing in the markup and then kerning occurs as an implementation-dependent algorithm?