Subject: Re: [office] Public comment #20 -- default print range in tables

Dave Pawson wrote:
> 2008/6/30 David Faure <faure@kde.org>:
>
>> I have asked myself, is this app-specific behavior or should it be in the spec?
>> The difference it makes is: if you send a document to someone else and tell
>> them "print this!", then a difference in behavior between two applications would
>> indeed break interoperability somewhat; the receiving user will print something rather
>> different than what the sender of the document intended. Page breaks at
>> a different place could rather ruin the printed document.
>> So, contrary to my first reaction of "this is app-specific behavior", I believe
>> it is useful to have this in the specification.

We have to consider here that we are talking about the default print
range only, that is, the one that is used if the document does not
explicitly stores one in the document. That means, if an author wants to
make sure that another application uses the same print range, then she
or he can specify the print range in the document. Even more,
applications may store the print range with every document of this
appears to be reasonable.

For this reason, I believe it is reasonable to leave it up to the
application to calculate a reasonable print range. Authors/Application
that do not want to depend on this may just specify the print the range.

> I'm not sure about page breaks (A4 vs letter David?)
>
> The basic print 'annoying the user' is a feature that should cause
> the addition to the spec for consistent use across vendor products.
> Suggest the print range, once set, be added to stored metadata, required
> even if not set. Start cell to end cell, before:start and after:end

This exists already. It is the table:print-ranges attribute. However, it
is left to the application under which circumstances it actually stores
the attribute, but I think this is okay.

> If not set behaviour is application dependent.

> regards

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten