Subject: Re: [office] Public comment #20 -- default print range in tables

2008/7/1 Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
<Michael.Brauer@sun.com>:
> Dave Pawson wrote:

>> The objection to leaving it unspecified has been quoted.
>> Nasty user experience.
>
> User experience is always a difficult topic. Some consider it to be good
> user experience to ask the user what to do.

Not that Michael. The end user getting a nasty shock when the application
does something different implementations.

I don't think anyone considers that a good experience.
IMHO it should drive all our decisions and be a first consideration.

> Anyway, I think what is essential is that ODF allows ^the user^to specify the print
> range. Therefore an application or author or application that does want to
> specify what exactly is printed can do so. And an author or application that
> wants to give other application some freedom here, can do that, too.

Yes to the first. No to the second.
If the app can then Prompt the user
 else
  Undefined.

>> Even on a server someone is asking to print *something*
>> ~Ask them what they want to print.
>
> I'm not sure. You may send an e-mail to the person that started the job, or
> something like that.

:-)

But is that really what you want if you print a
> document where let's say the first 10x10 cells have some content and the
> others are all empty only because the document does not say that exactly
> these cells should be printed?

I didn't say that.

I'm saying it is undefined if the user has not made a choice
*and* the application does not have a range stored.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.