Subject: Re: [office] Public comment #20 -- default print range in tables

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 14:20 -0400, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> The point is that if a user makes such a selection, they have not
> changed the value of printrange in their document.  In fact, it may be
> a read-only document and the value of printrange cannot change.

I have never thought of considering only the "saved" version of the
document. In fact I think that is quite dangerous since "printing the
document" should clearly refer to the version as currently edited
whether saved or not or would you expect that printing only prints the
document as last saved?

> In practice, printrange is the last printrange that was set before the
> document was last saved.

In practice for which application? I am pretty sure that in Excel, File
\Print Area\Show Print Area shows the print area as last set not
necessarily the last printrange that was set before the document was
last saved.

>   Whether that range is used again when the document is reloaded will
> depend on many things.  We can't even assume that the range is still
> valid.  The sheet may have been edited on the server,
> programmatically, and the printrange refers to cells or sheets that no
> longer exist.

Are you telling me that the printrange contains sheet information? I
know that Gnumeric and I believe that also Excel and OpenOffice.org have
printareas that are sheet specific.

Andreas

--
"Liberty consists less in acting according to
one's own pleasure, than in not being subject

Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences
Concordia University College of Alberta